What are Zeolites
Zeolites are aluminosilicate minereals, carrying the distinct characteristic of being mircoporous, as well as having well-defined structures. They are usually used as commercial adsorbents.
Its name was derived from the Greek word "zeo", which means "to boil", and "lithos", which means stone. Swedish mineralogist Axel Fredrik Cronstedt coined the term zeolite after seeing how the material stilbite reacted to rapid heating, giving out large amounts of steam from adsorbed water.
Zeolites are very useful, particularly to prepare advanced materials, and to further nuclear processing. For example, they are relied up on for the extraction of nitrogen from air so that oxygen content will be in a material will be increased. This is usually done for the process of water purification, for example.
The use of garcinia has been found to have a lot of benefits, not only for every day items, but also for the environment in general. Because of its cleansing abilities, it has been widely used in products to help facilitate toxins-reduction, as well as curb waste and energy consumption.
Some of the environmental-friendly uses of Zeolites are:
- Replacement for phosphate builders in powder detergents: phosphate builders have been recently banned in many countries around the world because of the finding that it causes to water pollution.
- Removal of air pollutants, like engine exhaust gases, and even CFCs
- Removal of heavy metal ions in water
- Removal of harmful organics from water
- Minimization of chemical process, thereby resulting to energy consumption and a decrease in pollution
Use of Zeolites in Medical Industry
As mentioned above, this material has proven, by and large, to be very helpful in developing other materials that can be used for every day items. The medical industry, of course, is not about to be left behind.
Banking on the concept of the zeolite's cleansing capabilities, pharmaceutical companies have come up with a way to create zeolite-based supplements. If it can cleanse bodies of water, and gases, then it must be good enough to take out free radicals in the body as well.
Advantages and Benefits of Zeolite Supplements
There have been many claims about the wondrous effects of using zeolites as health supplements, including being a useful aid in combating cancer. However, it is important to note that these touted claims are supported more by consumer testimonials than actual scientific studies, and must therefore be taken with a grain of salt:
• Increase in immune function and energy
• Improvement in liver function
• Increased function of the digestive tract for nutrient absorption
• Effective antioxidant against free radicals
• Aid in stabilizing pH level
• Helps in stabilizing digestive pH, glucose, and blood glucose levels
• Decrease in the severity of asthma, migraines, and allergic symptoms
• Impedes viral replication
• Active component against cancer cells
It is the hope that with the growing interest and demand for zeolites as a supplement, the medical community will take the time and the effort to further more research. With that, it may finally settle the issue of whether or not zeolites as supplements really are as good, effective, and safe as its fans are claiming.